70s Community Header Image

January 1971

Home PageForums70s MusicJanuary 1971

Tagged: , ,

This topic has 1 voice, contains 0 replies, and was last updated by  Seventies Man 11 years ago.

Viewing 1 post
Author Posts
Author Posts
December 19, 2012 at 9:36 am #482

Seventies Man

I am on a roll here. Here is the top ten from the first week of January 1971. I have removed the number One, but can you identify it from the write up?

No. 10
Ride A White Swan by T.Rex

No. 9
My Prayer by Gerry Monroe
Gerry was discovered on the Thames TV show “Opportunity Knocks”, and this was his third UK hit single, and this song itself goes back to the 1920s, and had been a hit for The Inkspots and Glenn Miller, to name just a few.

No. 8
Nothing Rhymed by Gilbert O’Sullivan
Gilbert was born 1946 as Raymond Edward O’Sullivan, and was well known for his Northern style cloth cap, and he was a fantastic singer and songwriter, who would later in the 1970s have a number one with”Claire”.
Lyrics to “Nothing Rhymed”

No. 7
Home Lovin Man by Andy Williams

Andy was born in 1927 as Howard Andrew Williams, and has sold millions and millions of records world wide, and still does, thanks to his laid back old style crooner voice. We will hear a lot more of Andy in 1971, and thanks to his worldwide TV show of the time he introduced the world to the group “The Osmonds”
Andy died in 2012.
Lyrics to “Home Lovin Man”

No. 6
Cracklin Rose by Neil Diamond
Written and performed by Neil from the album “Tap Root Manuscript”, No. 1 in the U.S. and his first big hit in the UK to getting No. 3. The song refers to a red wine drunk mainly in Canada.
Lyrics to “Cracklin Rose”

No. 5
I’ll Be There by Jackson 5
The song and dance boys had a big number one in the US with this Motown record, and this was deemed to be their first serious Number one song, and the record sales made it the biggest Jackson 5 hit of all time.
Lyrics to “I’ll Be There”

No. 4
It’s Only Make Believe by Glenn Campbell

No. 3
When I’m Dead And Gone by McGuinness Flint
Tom McGuinness was in Manfred Man, but went on to form this band along with Hughie Flint,the song was written by Graham Lyle and Benny Galagher. The song refers to Robert Johnson a black American soul singer, who died in 1938.

No. 2
Grandad by Clive Dunn
Clive Dunn OBE was born in 1920 and was best known to the British public as Lance- Corporal Jones in the BBC comedy “Dads Army”. Clive played a very old home guard volunteer during world war two, he managed to bring that old man profile to the pop charts, and had a huge hit with this novelty record. The song was written by Herbie Flowers the co founder of Blue Mink.

No. 1
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Born in Wales in 1944, David had this first number one of 1971 by covering a record by Smiley Lewis from 1955. Smiley never heard this version as he died in 1966.

Viewing 1 post

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

1970s Community Forum

This is the place to share the memories of those great by gone days and help each other nudge those hidden gems out of the darkest recesses of your minds. Believe me there's a lot of them. Since I started this nostalgia site 7 years ago so many great memories have been cajoled out of my ageing grey cells by my forum friends that would never ever have seen the light of day again. So join in the fun and see what great memories we can help you recall.

Join the Discussion

Register now & join in the discussions, this will allow you to add your own comments, memories, photographs and stories to our ever growing website dedicated to the Seventies. Simply sign up using your Facebook, Twitter, Linked In or Google+ Account

Your API connection setting not working. try to change setting from module option or check your php.ini setting for (cURL support = enabled OR allow_url_fopen = On)