70s Community Header Image

January 1970

Home PageForums70s MusicJanuary 1970

Tagged: , ,

This topic has 3 voices, contains 2 replies, and was last updated by  john 11 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
December 19, 2012 at 9:31 am #481

Seventies Man

I love the charts from the 1970s and even have my own chart site.http://www.inthe1970s.com

Here is the VERY first top ten from 1970. I have remove the title of the number One . but can you guess it from the description?
No. 10
Without You by Tom Jones

Sex bomb Tom Jones born in 1940 was so huge in the 1960s and would be a huge star in the 1970s, especially with his TV shows.
Article about Tom Jones
This week Tom appeared on the BBC singing “Delilah” in “Pop Goes The Sixties”.

N0. 9
Tracey by Cufflinks
New York born Ron Dante was the front man of this group of backing singers, although his name was not mentioned for reasons we will explain later. The record is often referred to as great bubblegum music.
Dante would work as a producer a few years later for Barry Manilow and “Mandy“.

N0. 8
Winter World Of Love by Engelbert Humperdinck

Lyrics to “Winter World Of Love”.
Named after a German composer, but originally born as Arnold George Dacey in 1936, and known as Tom Jones major competition, here he is with a beautiful song of the music of the 70s.

No. 7
All I have To Do Is Dream by Bobbie Gentry and Glenn Campbell
Article about Glenn Campbell
Bobbie born 1944 in 1975 married Jim Stafford who had a hit with “Spiders and Snakes”.
Glenn was to become the “Rhinestone Cowboy”.
This song was originally a hit for The Everly Brothers in 1958.

No. 6
Yester-Me, Yester-You,Yesterday by Stevie Wonder
Stevie was born blind in 1950 as Stevland Hardaway Judkins and has won twenty two Grammy awards, not that many really.
Lyrics for Yester-Me,Yester-You,Yesterday.
The song comes from the album “My Cherie La Mour”

No. 5
Melting Pot by Blue Mink
No. 4
Suspicious Minds by Elvis Presley

Written by Mark James and featuring heavy in Elvis comeback special in 1968, and of course Elvis died in 1977.
A hit again in January 1977

No. 3
Sugar sugar by Archies
We welcome back Ron Dante who was also the voice behind this record based on a cartoon series, yet another bubble gum record.
Because he had another record in the charts by another record company his name had to be kept in the background.
Dont worry fellow singer on this record is Andy Kim who would have a number One later in the decade with “Rock Me Gently”.

No. 2
Ruby Don’t Take Your Love To Town by Kenny Rogers and the First Edition

Kenny Rogers article
Before he had the Chicken outlets, Kenny added his voice to this great record, and it was all done in one take.
Originally a hit for Johnny Darrell in 1967.

No. 1
NO. 1
Australian entertainer, artist and BBC show hostXXX forced his Saturday night TV show producer to allow him to sing this on his live TV show. He did and the public loved it and it became the very first Number One in the 1970s.
The record dates back to 1902 and tells the story of two boys during the American Civil war.

December 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm #490

Rennie

This was the song my bro and I used to sing together. Nice plug by the way seventies Man :)

December 21, 2012 at 1:44 pm #501

john

I saw this on a documentary yesterday. No1s at Christmas. It was Rolf Harris and Two Little Boys. Rolf said he had it sung to him in the bush and then he cried. He really did make it a record not to forget- something haunting about that song.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

1970s Community Forum

This is the place to share the memories of those great by gone days and help each other nudge those hidden gems out of the darkest recesses of your minds. Believe me there's a lot of them. Since I started this nostalgia site 7 years ago so many great memories have been cajoled out of my ageing grey cells by my forum friends that would never ever have seen the light of day again. So join in the fun and see what great memories we can help you recall.

Join the Discussion

Register now & join in the discussions, this will allow you to add your own comments, memories, photographs and stories to our ever growing website dedicated to the Seventies. Simply sign up using your Facebook, Twitter, Linked In or Google+ Account

Your API connection setting not working. try to change setting from module option or check your php.ini setting for (cURL support = enabled OR allow_url_fopen = On)